In the spring of 1997, then New Westminster Mayor, Helen Sparks cut the ribbon at the Last Door Youth Program’s official opening ceremony. Twenty years later, Last Door Youth Program continues to celebrate service excellence in providing addiction treatment and support services to youth and their families..
Much has changed since then – the tangle of blackberry bushes that covered the entire back yard has been replaced with lawn, garden and recreational space. The once tiny home style kitchen and “closet” bathrooms have been replaced with new fixtures and a modern sleek look. A poignant outcome is that our first “Youth Door” client has sat on the Board of Directors for many years. Click the title to read more.
Hi! My name is Scott and I am a recovering addict.
My story starts in a suburb in the West Side of Vancouver. Picture perfect family of 4 living the Canadian dream. As I grew up it became more and more apparent that I would have some troubles later in life. I found myself on prescription ADHD medication at 8, smoking pot by 12, psychedelics at 15, and heroin by 17.
As you could probably tell things escalated quite quickly. It started out as a monthly treat, turned to weekly, and eventually a daily ritual. Click the title to read more
Save these dates! Last Door powers some of the largest recovery events for it’s clients, alumni, stakeholders and the public at large, to see the evidence that people do recovery from addiction with abstinence based programs. We Do Recover!
- April 17, New West Recovery Sun Run Team
- June 25, Family Fun Day, Queens Park
- July 31, Clean Sober Proud, Vancouver
- August 27, Sports Day, Moody Park
- September 10, Recovery Day Festival
- September 24, Alberta Alumni Day
- November 2016, Planning Committee Invite for 35th Anniversary
Last Door WINS and becomes the Charity of Choice for 2016 University of British Columbia Dollar Project. This club of globally empowered students aim to promote the importance of global cooperation and collective action. Last Door’s wining presentation will allow us to collaborate with UBC to bring awareness to addiction and recovery issues to over 65,000 Students & faculty.. thank you University of British Columbia .. we’re going to have fun raising funds
Donate to Last Door’s Youth Program when you use your BMO® and RBC® Credit Cards! Direct sign up page to Last Door Recovery Society.
We’re thrilled to announce that Last Door Recovery Society is now a partner of ChangeIt®, an exciting new way to donate while making everyday purchases using your BMO® and RBC® Credit Cards or select Credit Union Debit Cards*.
What is ChangeIt? click the title to read more
Every year residents of Last Door enjoy a day out fishing with Alumni. It’s important for clients to learn new hobbies and discover new passions to ensure healthy recovery . It’s also important for alumni to give back. Alumni Mitch quickly learned that sharing recovery with others helps him stay clean, he has done his best to share his passion for the outdoors and his passion for fishing. Click the title to read more about Last Door’s Wilderness Therapy approach.
Every week Last Door powers up the air ways with Talk Recovery, a radio show about addiction and recovery issues. Expert Guests from across North America discuss the many paths to recovery with us on 100.5 fm in Vancouver.
This Thursday Show Insane, a memoir of eating disorders, addiction, and bipolar disorder
- Saving Jake: When Addiction Hits Home
- Bottled, a mom’s guide to early recovery
- Acupuncture for Addiction, PTSD and Trauma Related Injuries
- CONQUER CHRONIC PAIN & Chronic Pain Management
- The Addiction Workshop the Naturopathic way
- Replay all past shows – www.talkrecoveryradio.com
Last Door is embracing to participate in a third party 5 year research study to analyze the “Quality of Life” after Last Door’s Social Model Program.
What are the outcomes for clients who participate in a 90 plus day treatment program for measures like Physical Health Improvements, Substance Use, and Financial Stability?
Here are some current statistics below, stay tuned to the hear more about one of the most rigorous research studies to take place on Last Door …. and to all past Clients; we’re looking forward to following up with you. To read more please click the title.
- Telling docs they overprescribe addicting drugs doesn’t make them stop
- The quiet rise of crystal meth
- Health Canada flagged nine key considerations in legalizing marijuana
- Most teens who misuse prescription stimulants say they use other people’s medication
- Cannabis use linked to worse treatment outcomes for psychosis patients
- Youth crime Stats in Canada, 2014
- Emergency visits by Ontario youth for mental health, addiction problems increase by 32 per cent over six years
- Anatomy Of Addiction: How Heroin And Opioids Hijack The Brain
- SFU study suggests 300 offenders on Downtown Eastside cost $26.5M in services