The Road to Recovery Starts Here
Making the decision to seek treatment for addiction can be scary and overwhelming. With so many options out there, how do you know which provider is right for you or your loved one? This comprehensive guide will walk you through the key things to look for when choosing an addiction treatment provider. Follow these tips and you’ll be equipped to find a provider that meets your unique needs.
Define Your Treatment Goals
The first step is getting clear on what you want to achieve in treatment. Every person and every addiction is different. Define your specific treatment goals so you can find a provider suited to help you meet them. For example, your goals might include:
- Achieving abstinence from substance use
- Reducing harmful behaviors related to addiction
- Improving physical and mental health
- Repairing relationships damaged by addiction
- Developing healthy coping skills
- Finding purpose and meaning in recovery
Whatever your goals, being clear about them from the start will help guide your search.
Research Different Treatment Approaches
Addiction treatment comes in many forms. Get educated on the various treatment approaches so you can find what will work best for you. Here are some of the most common:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy – Changes negative thought and behavior patterns
- Motivational interviewing – Increases readiness to change addictive behaviors
- 12-step programs – Peer support groups based on 12-step principles
- Medication-assisted treatment – Uses medication to curb cravings and withdrawal
- Holistic practices – Alternative therapies like yoga, acupuncture, and meditation
- Faith-based programs – Treatment grounded in spiritual practices
Make a list of approaches you think could help achieve your goals. This will give you criteria to use when researching providers.
Look Into the Provider’s Credentials
It’s essential that your treatment provider has extensive training and expertise in addiction treatment. Look for these credentials:
- Medical doctor (M.D.) with a specialty in addiction medicine or psychiatry
- Licensed psychologist (PhD) or clinical social worker (LCSW)
- Certified alcohol and drug counselor (CADC)
Ask how many years of experience they have specifically treating addiction. Look for at least 3-5 years of experience. Their credentials and experience level will impact the quality of treatment you receive.
Find Out What Services They Offer
Treatment for addiction may involve multiple services depending on your needs. As you research providers, find out what services they offer directly and what they can refer you to, including:
- Withdrawal management – Medically-supervised detox
- Individual counseling – One-on-one therapy
- Group counseling – Support groups
- Family therapy – Sessions with family members
- Medication management – Overseeing addiction medications
- Case management – Help accessing community resources
- Aftercare planning – Continuing care after initial treatment
A comprehensive approach can set you up for sustained recovery success. Make sure the provider offers a range of services or partnerships to meet all of your treatment needs.
Ask About Their Treatment Approach
High-quality addiction treatment is personalized and evidence-based. When interviewing providers, ask them to describe their treatment approach. Look for:
- A comprehensive evaluation to understand your history and needs
- An individualized treatment plan based on the evaluation
- The use of proven techniques tailored to your situation
- A care team that collaborates to meet your changing needs
- Ongoing assessment of your progress
A personalized, adaptable approach shows the provider will deliver high-quality, effective treatment.
Consider Accreditation and Outcomes
When researching providers, look for ones accredited by respected organizations like the Joint Commission, CARF International, Accreditation Canada or COA. Accreditation ensures they meet rigorous standards of care.
Also ask about their treatment outcomes. Quality providers will track outcome metrics like treatment completion rates and long-term recovery rates. High rates show their treatment effectiveness. Last Door Recovery Centre is accredited by Accreditation Canada.
Tour the Treatment Facility
If considering residential treatment, schedule a tour of the facility. Observe interactions between staff and clients. Is the environment clean, comfortable and welcoming? Get a feel for the overall vibe.
Also ask about safety procedures, medical access, amenities provided and rules for visitation and communication with family. The facility environment will impact your treatment experience.
Verify Insurance Coverage
Don’t assume your insurance will cover addiction treatment costs. Contact your insurer to learn about coverage for services like detox, rehab, therapy and medications.
Ask what out-of-pocket expenses you may incur. Understanding costs will allow you to budget appropriately. Quality addiction treatment can be affordable with the right insurance coverage.
Trust Your Gut
Listen to your intuition during the research process. You’ll spend a lot of time with your treatment provider and team. Make sure you feel respected, understood and believed. The rapport you build will influence how open you are in treatment.
Last Door Recovery Centre provides personalized, evidence-based addiction treatment in a comfortable, accredited facility located in beautiful British Columbia. Their dedicated team of professionals have decades of experience providing compassionate care customized to each client’s needs.
If you’re seeking lasting addiction recovery, Last Door may be the right fit for you.
Choosing addiction treatment is a big decision, but you don’t have to do it alone. Contact Last Door today to discuss your recovery goals with our caring staff. Give us a call at 604-525-9771.
Learn more about our services by clicking one of the links below, or call our admissions.