Last Door Recovery E-News Issue #66 September 2015
Dear Friends, Supporters, Donors, Referral Agents and Alumni,
This summer has been a fantastic year, Last Door’s recovery message reached over 1,000,000 people during its community events and outreach booths, and we’re still not done. Please enjoy this month’s newsletter for a review of this past summer and what’s planned for this month. From detox and treatment, to continuing care; Last Door’s biopsychosocial model program is what makes New Westminster BC the recovery capital of Canada, providing services nationwide. Alumni from across Canada are always coming back to visit our main facility to attend group for a tune up or just to say hi to the new clients and staff.
NEW official support for Last Door’s NTST Program- treating addiction, trauma and PTSD
Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health, an independent, not-for-profit organization providing health care decision-makers with the latest evidence on drugs & medical devices, provided Veterans Affairs Canada’s OSI Operational Stress Injury Clinic with a third party evaluation of Last Door’s NTST Program. NTST (Neurotrophic Stimulation Therapy) is a new program at Last Door offering services for individuals with substance abuse disorders and post-traumatic stress disorder.
Results found in the study indicate:
- Acupoint stimulation therapy combined with CBT was found to be more effective than CBT alone
- When acupuncture was compared to treatment of PTSD with pharmacotherapy, the results were encouraging for the role of acupuncture in PTSD
- Two studies demonstrated that acupuncture significantly reduced PTSD symptom severity from baseline to 12 week and 6 months follow up
- Reduction in PTSD Symptoms severity on the CAPS and PCL scales was significantly greater with acupuncture compared to usual care
- Significant improvement in symptoms of depression and reduced anxiety
Acupuncture and transcranial direct current stimulation are the most studied components of NTST, both offered at Last Door. The NTST treatment program begins with a psychiatrist’s assessment followed by an immediate brain scan and 100 days of specialized inpatient programming consisting of evidence based treatment. Firefighters, veterans, paramedics and other individuals suffering from trauma, PTSD and addiction can benefit from Last Door’s innovative modern nerve stimulation program.
Clients will reduce their side effects of PTSD and Addiction in a licensed program, using pharmacotherapy, pharmacology, psychotherapy, CBT, acupuncture, acupoint injection therapy, cranial electro stimulation, and Last Door’s personal growth written assignments and social model program.
To make a referral to Last Door’s NTST program contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-888-525-9771
I somehow found myself at the Last Door in September 2008 and it was like no treatment facility I ever attended before (and I attended my fair share worldwide) It didn’t feel like an institution at the Door, it’s hard to put into words but it had this energy that I never felt before or haven’t felt in a while, my peers become brother-like, we talked, lived recovery.
Life before seeking help from the Last Door was full of active addiction, pain and isolation. I constantly used against my will and hurt those closest to me the most. It was such an empty feeling knowing I was slowing killing myself yet unable to stop. It took a toll on my entire family, our home life was in shambles as my family kept sending me to treatment, only to see me go back to the same situation if not worse before I left. Click the title to read more
Last Door Keystone Indoor Pool and Sauna Room is a hit with our clients, especially with our Youth Program
Every Thursday night, clients, alumni and family members are also invited to enjoy “Speaker Meeting Nights” at Keystone.
Alumni with one year clean and some from over 25 years ago since they were in treatment, have spoken this summer to share their recovery story to our current clients, helping them realize that recovery can be long term and portable.
Teens, veterans, firefighters and pilots participate in counselling sessions and group every week, a complementary continuum of programs and services are available to address the varied problems of our clients. Counselling sessions and group are important, but Last Door goes that extra mile.
Every year Last Door organizes some of the largest recovery events in North America for its clients, alumni, their families and the community at large. Three main events this summer were Family Fun Day, Clean Sober and Proud and Sports Day.
To view a full photo album of how brilliant Last Door’s Social Model Addiction Treatment Program is please visit our facebook photo page – www.facebook.com/LastDoor/photos.
Everyone is welcome to attend Last Door’s events, keeping our recovery approach inclusive to all.
- Over $200,000 worth of art, from $20 prints to $13,000 originals
- Did you know Last Door’s Family Program services are provided at no additional charges to clients?
- Parents Group, Family Suites, Partners Group & Couples Counselling are included in treatment
- Art 4 Recovery – Music, Performances, Art, Food, Tickets are $20
- Keeping the family involved in the treatment process makes sense for long term recovery.
WIN $500 — enter to score a one of a kind art piece valued at $500, you’ll also score a pair of tickets to check out Art 4 Recovery. Enter on cfox.com To enter CLICK HERE!
Alberta Alumni Day
Alberta is still a province of short term treatment, with most programs being 28 days, Last Door has become a destination facility for those looking for longer term programs.
Alberta Alumni Day
Every week Last Door powers up the air ways with Talk Recovery, a radio show about addiction and recovery issues. Expert Guests from across North America discuss the many paths to recovery with us on 100.5 fm in Vancouver.
- Navigating Grace, Survival and Redemption
- Women Do Recover
- Emotional Healing and Distance Therapy
- Social Drinking for Alcoholics
- Break Your Family’s Cycle of Addictive Behaviors
- Addicted to Pain Killers
- ASK – Addiction Survival Kit
Replay all past shows on Last Door’s Soundcloud – www.talkrecoveryradio.com
- You are invited to Last Door’s AGM on
- Nov 13, 2015 6pm @ 323 -8th Street.
- Please RSVP to email@example.com
Weekend Family Addiction Workshop
Is your life in chaos because of an addicted loved one? Are you putting your own needs on the back burner in desperate attempts to help the addict in your life? There is a way out of the cycle of chaos!
Join Candace Plattor, M.A. and Cait Saul as they present a weekend workshop on September 25-26th for family and other loved ones affected by addiction:
Loving an Addict, Loving Yourself: Stop Feeling Powerless, Let Go of the Guesswork, and Do What REALLY Works!
Attendance is limited and Early Bird pricing is in effect until September 10th, so be sure to sign up soon.
Join us September 20th in Vancouver to celebrate Recovery at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre Outdoor Plaza. Last Door Recovery Society is pleased to have its very own Counsellor Darren Galer as MC the event, as well as another staff sit on the Recovery Day Society Board and provide volunteers.
Glass of wine a day may increase breast cancer
- Recovery addicts finds support in narcotics group
- Health care system is failing people with alcohol addiction
- Parents talk about alcohol when kids are 9
- Schizophrenia-prone boys who try pot experience changes in brain development
- Teens may not drink or smoke if friends are counseled not to
- Long-term brain changes persist years after drug abuse and recovery